What started out as a cheap diner sandwich, quickly became one of the favorite ones with kids and adults alike. The legendary Sloppy Joe sandwich, which is usually made from beef or pork, is a quintessential dish that we all remember from summer camp or those lazy Sunday afternoons growing up.
With changing trends in the fast food world that are steering towards making unhealthy dishes healthier, plenty of old classics are getting new twists – like the good old Sloppy Joe. If youv'e been looking for the perfect meatless Sloppy Joe recipe, look no further! This great recipe is the one you need, whether you avoid meat for health reasons or because you prefer not to eat it all together. For those lazy summer Sundays or just as a healthy meal, try the meatless Sloppy Joe your kids will also think is finger-licking good.
for 4 sandwiches:
- olive oil, to taste
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can tomato sauce, 15 ounce
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
1. In a medium skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil begins to shimmer, add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, until semi-translucent.
2. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and cook 2-3 minutes more, until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Season with salt.
4. Add the textured vegetable protein, vegetable broth, and tomato sauce and stir well until combined. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Remove the lid and add the Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, and yellow mustard. Mix to combine and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the remaining liquid has been absorbed.
6. Serve on hamburger buns and enjoy!